Which English exam will give me the skills I need to study at University in the UK?

Study in the UK

If you’re thinking of applying to study in the UK, it’s likely you’re asking yourself:

  •   Is my English good enough to study in an English-speaking country?
  •   Will I have to take an English exam for my student visa?
  •   Will my university ask me to prove my English skills?

Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) has helped thousands of students apply to UK universities and given them the skills and confidence to get the most out of their studies.

The right level of English for university

Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is focused on level C1 of the CEFR. This is exactly the level needed for academic study at degree level. Preparing for the exam gives you the confidence and in-depth English skills you’ll need for:

l   writing essays

l   reading a wide range of materials

l   taking part in lectures and seminars

l   dealing with everyday life in an English-speaking environment.

Petra Olsson from Cambridge English said: “The right English language skills can often make the difference between having a positive experience of studying in a different country – or not.
“We’ve designed 
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) so it focuses on the right level. People who pass the test find they can communicate effortlessly in English, which gives them a huge confidence boost.”

No need for a SELT

While some overseas students are required take a Secure English Language Test (SELT) to apply for a UK visa, most students applying for degree-level courses won’t need to.
But their university or college will still require proof that their English skills are good enough to complete the course.

Accepted by 100% of UK universities*

All UK universities* accept Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) as proof of English language ability, because they know students will have the right English skills for successful study.
Also, your Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) certificate can give you up to 32 UCAS Tariff points towards your university application.

Find out more

Learn more about Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) and talk to your English teacher about preparing for the exam.
Find out more about visas for studying in the UK here.

*Based on a study of all of the members of Universities UK between April 2015 and July 2016 who accept Cambridge English: Advanced for EU students and other students not requiring a visa for all or part of their course. The figures also show that nearly 90 per cent (including all Russell Group universities) accept it for students who need a Tier 4 visa for courses at undergraduate level and above.

Students are advised to check English language requirements for their chosen course directly with the university before applying.

Find your perfect language school Search CourseFinders to find the course for you