The Center began the academic year 2005/2006 at a new location, ul. Grodzka 64, at the foot of the Wawel Hill, which for centuries was the residence of Polish kings. The royal castle has become a symbol of the Golden Age of Polish culture and the symbol of Polish tradition. Thus, students who choose to learn the Polish language and culture at the Jagiellonian University Center are doing so at the very heart of Krakow, in the vicinity of many monuments and not far from the Main Market Square—the biggest such square in medieval Europe.
The Center for Polish Language and Culture consists of three academic departments, the Department of Polish as a Foreign Language, Department of Polish, Polonia Culture and Biographic Studies and School of Polish Language and Culture.
The Center, and the Department of Polish as a Foreign Language in particular, is one of the most important academic institutions teaching the Polish language and culture to foreigners. It organizes:
• One-year programs in the Polish language and culture
• One-semester programs in the Polish language and culture
• Summer courses in the Polish language and culture
• Polish language courses for students of the Erasmus Program studying in Kraków
• Polish language courses for graduate students of Kraków academic institutions
• Individual courses for businessmen and translators
• A special preparatory course for those interested in taking state certification exams
The effective methods of teaching and materials used by students during the courses have been prepared mainly by the Center staff. The academic staff publishes language and academic textbooks, dictionaries and monographs.
Learning Polish is the most important goal of foreigners studying at the Center. They can also participate in various courses on Polish history, society, culture and literature. Some take part in the work of the Theater Studio, presenting their talents in Polish.
Studies at the Center represent a meeting of the traditions of the oldest Polish university, the knowledge and experience of teachers, and the zest of foreign students. This combination is unique and provides an unforgettable atmosphere at the Center which will linger in students’ memories for a very long time. It is really worthwhile to come here, study here and be here.